Monday, February 27, 2012

Quick and Easy Cajun Pasta

Somehow, this past week I have gone to the grocery store twice, spent over $80, but yet when I went to look to see what I could make for dinner, I realized I had pretty much no meat.  No chicken breast, no pork chops, no ground meat... Just a pot roast, and some steaks - both frozen, neither of which could be thrown together at 7:00 at night.  Oops - not sure what I spent all of that money on, but it left me with one choice for dinner - pasta!  While pasta, any way you serve it, is my favorite, it is not necessarily my husband's.favorite.  He's more of a meat guy.  So I decided I'd be nice, and at least let him pick what kind of pasta we would have tonight.  He picked cajun pasta.  Good choice if you ask me! It is SUPER quick and easy to throw together, and really yummy - you'd never know it was only five ingredients! That is right - FIVE! I'm telling you - when you are pressed for time, or tired from a busy day, this is the perfect go-to meal! 

Servings: 6
WW PPV: 12


Ingredients: 
- 16 oz. pasta (I used farfalle)
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- 2 cups reduced-fat shredded colby-jack cheese
- 1 Tbs. Mckormick cajun seasoning
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes with green chilis, well drained (you can use regular diced tomatoes if you want to omit the heat of the green chilis)
- Paprika, optional for browning when baking






Okay.  Are you ready for how easy this is?

Pre-heat oven to 375*.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, bring the fat-free half and half to almost boiling.  Important - don't let the half and half boil - it should just start to bubble around the edges, and look something like this:


Turn burner heat to low.  Whisk in the cheese until fully melted.  
Next, whisk in the cajun seasoning until fully incorporated.


Drain the pasta.  In a 9x13 dish, pour in the pasta, cheese sauce, and drained tomatoes.  Mix thoroughly.  Sprinkle with paprika if you like your baked pasta browned.  Bake at 375* for 15-20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.  Serve, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment