Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Barbeque Chicken Pasta

What do you have the most of on hand? Somehow, I ended up with four bottles of barbeque sauce.  I have no idea how.  It isn't something I even use once a month, but apparently, when I have a coupon, I'll buy anything.  I've been trying to think of a different way to use up some of this barbeque sauce, but one can only eat so much barbeque chicken pizza.  I always tend to think that whatever tastes good on pizza, would make a good pasta, too.  After doing some research, I decided to combine what sounded best from a bunch of recipes.  Here is what I came up with:

Ingredients:
- 16 oz. farfalle pasta
- 1 red, orange, or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz. chicken, sliced
- 1 package fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce (I like it best with a smokey/mesquite bbq sauce; if you use a sweet or honey sauce, your sauce *will* end up very sweet.  As you can see in the picture, I used Sweet Baby Ray's, and it was too sweet.  I made it again with K.C. Masterpiece and thought the sauce was perfect!  Up to you, but I'm not a big sweet pasta sauce fan)
- 1/4 cup fat free ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half

Start by boiling a pot of water for the pasta.  Cook the pasta according to the package directions.


Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat, and cook the peppers, onions, and bacon until the onions start to turn clear (but don't let them brown).  


Next, add in the sliced chicken, stirring frequently until chicken is no longer pink.  (At this point, I removed by chicken and put it in the food processor to shred it.  I am typically not a fan of big pieces of chicken in pasta, so I prefer mine shredded.  -Yes, I have texture issues...).  Next, add in the garlic, and cook for a minute or two until the garlic starts to brown.  Reduce the heat to low, and add drop in the cream cheese.  Cover with a lid for a few minutes until the cream cheese is melty.


Mix in the barbeque sauce, ranch dressing, and half and half .  Keep mixing until the sauce is uniform.  Drain the pasta, and carefully mix it into the skillet.


Serve immediately, or if for later use, put the pasta into the fridge immediately until ready to be reheated.  If you prefer baked pasta, transfer to an oven-proof dish, drizzle a little barbeque sauce and paprika on top of the pasta, and bake at 350* for 15 minutes.  


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment