Friday, January 6, 2012

Pepperoni Pizza Soup

Who doesn't love pizza? Who doesn't love pizza with pepperoni and cheese? I know I could pretty much eat pizza at any time - its a perfect lunch or dinner, mid-morning stack, and it always hits the spot when I get the midnight munchies! Several years ago, I was flipping through a Maxim magazine (gimme a break, that was all that was available) and came across a recipe called Pepperoni Pizza Soup.  My husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) is really picky, and this sounded like something he might actually enjoy! After several years of tweaking, I think I have this recipe down to a science! It really does taste like pepperoni pizza in soup form! And the best part is, it is SO easy! I promise, this will be a hit for anyone that enjoys pizza (so... everyone?).  Enjoy!!!


Ingredients (to make four servings -- doubles easily):
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbs. minced garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1.5 cups uncooked shell pasta
- 2 tsp. crushed oregano
- 1/2 heaping cup diced pepperoni (I substitute turkey pepperoni when I make it for myself)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (I use low-fat or fat-free when I make it for myself)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (I use low-fat or fat-free when I make it for myself)


I started by pre-heating my broiler to high.  I then combined the soup, water, and garlic in a stock pot, and bringing it to a boil.  Meanwhile,  I diced the pepperoni and green onions.  Once the liquid was boiling, I added in 2/3 of the green onions, pasta, oregano, and pepperoni.  I allowed it to continue to boil until the pasta shells were almost done.  I then transferred the soup into oven proof bowls, filling almost full.  I then topped each soup with 1/4 cup of each cheese.  I stuck it under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese was hot and bubbly! I waited a few minutes before serving because it gets really hot, (although I'll warn you, its really hard to wait... it smells so good!).  Tell me this isn't amazing? 





Notes: For a really indulgent, full pizza experience, serve up the soup in crusty bread bowl! I promise, it is completely worth the extra calories! Also, when I am making it for people other than Mr. Picky, I add in diced onions and green peppers - which I think is very yummy!

3 comments:

  1. so how do i figure out how many ww points this is with all the variations? this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurdino-
    Great question! Go to the WW online site, and plug the ingredients that you plan to use into the recipe builder. Set for 4 servings. It will then tell you the points! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this tonight- it was amazing. Such a good idea. FYI: it ends up being 10 points when using turkey pepperoni and fat free cheeses. Perfect for dinner with a side of veggies, and I still have 3 servings left!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete