Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cute DIY dry erase board

I've been trying to be less wasteful in all aspect of my life, like trying to convince myself it is okay to use a bath towel more than once (to cut down on electricity used for laundry), to reusing to-go containers (which I was always afraid to do).  A few months ago I got in the habit of typing up our menu and schedules for the week, printing them out, and sticking them on the fridge.  This has been so great for me - its completely cut down on wasted food! I always hated having stuff go bad in the fridge simply because I forgot I had it...


*sidenote* By the way, if you don't meal plan, you should! It saves a lot of time and money too! You can always check here for new recipes for great meal ideas!


Anyway, so since I started printing these lists out, I've done a really good job of sticking to them.  However, I've noticed how wasteful it is to print it out every single week.  I was thinking about buying a dry erase board for the fridge to write the list up there, but there were quite a few drawbacks to that.  1) I would have to spend money to purchase one, and I avoid that when possible.  2) I'd have to re-draw the chart every week because when I erased the menu, I'm sure I'd end up erasing half of the lines.  3) They are not very pretty... I like pretty!


So, I set to brainstorming how I could make my own that would meet my needs.  I looked around my house for something that you can use dry erase markers on.  In case you didn't know, you can use dry-erase markers on glass.  When I used to do home-care OT, I ended up having to take down a lot of phone numbers inevitably while sitting at a red light when you don't exactly have a pen handy... A friend had told me to carry a dry-erase pen, and just write it on the window.  That was a great trick!  Anyway, I found a picture frame (brand new, mind you) that had been given to me in a gift exchange, or for a wedding present, or something along those lines... But the point is, I wasn't using it. I decided I could totally make this pretty AND make it meet our needs, all the while doing my part to be a little more "green".  


- Sidenote: I see myself repeating this project with other un-used frames (of which I have many): For grocery lists (also to be posted on the fridge so that when my  husband uses the last of something, there is no excuse to not write it down so I know!), for calendars, for "to-do" lists in my home office... the list goes on and on.  If I had kids, I would use this idea to add their picture on the left column, and then write their chores across the row.  I don't know, there are no rules! Just be creative, and have fun!


Here is how I did it: 




Supplies:
- 12 x 12 picture frame
- 12 x 12 cardstock
- 12 x 12 vellum
- Scrap-booking sticker letters
- Card-making embellishments (cardboard flower; metal brads/flowers)
- Glue dots
- Cutting board, cutter, and ruler
- Permanent markers (non-bleeding type)





First, I picked a lightly patterned paper and vellum.  You want to pick something that won't be too busy so that whatever you write on the glass will show up! After I picked my paper, I wanted to leave a 2" margin at the top so that my title would be displayed prominently! I measured down 2" on the vellum, and then used a scrap-book cutter to make sure I had a straight edge! I then used glue dots to affix the vellum onto the cardstock.



Next, I picked a cardboard flower embellishment, and stuck that on with a glue dot too.  I then picked my sticker letters (green GLITTER, of course... because you can never have too much glitter!).  If you are new to scrap-booking, the best way to center your letters if find the middle letter or space, and start there.  Once you place your first letter, work backward to form the beginning of the work, and then forward to form the end of the word.  I know, I should have taken a picture, but here is an example: My title was "our schedule" - 12 characters.  So my middle was split between c and h.  I placed the c and h, and then added the s, space, r, u, o, and then added the e, d, u, l, e.  Comment if you have questions!



I then planned my grid and how I wanted to organize it.  I used a blank 12 x 12 sheet of paper to plan it on there.  I used a ruler to make sure everything would be all even.  I decided to have 8 columns, and 4 rows.  The top row having the 7 days of the week, and the left column having "appointments", "menu", "to-do".  Once everything was measured, I sketched it very lightly with a super-fine pencil.   I then used a straight edge and a permanent marker to draw the chart.







I decided to use the bottom space for a "notes" section.  I always need to jot down notes.  Always.  Now I know where to go to do it, and I won't lose them!






I then wanted to balance the 'notes' by adding two embellishments (flowers with brads) to the bottom right corner.  Brads are fun! You know those brass pins, that have two bendable pieces that you can stick through a paper and then separate? Those are brads.  In scrap-book world, they come all dolled up. I chose two green ones, and two metal flowers.  I simply pushed the brad through the center of the flower, and through the paper.  I think they turned out pretty cute!





Next, I decided to hand write my column and row headings, because I didn't have any stickers small enough to fit.  It crossed my mind to print them off of the computer on colored paper in a cute font, but I didn't want black text, and my colored printer isn't working right now.  But if it was, I would have done that.  Instead, I tried to use my "bestest" hand writing! I think it turned out fine!



I then opened the frame, and stuck my work of art behind the glass! Once it was all set, I filled in the rest of this week's schedule with a dry-erase marker, and hung it on my fridge! When I get a chance, I am going to try to find a few different colored dry erase markers so I can color code our appointments for each member of the household.  I like organization... To hang, I used a suction cup hook I found in my desk.  It works great! I then used a magnetic pink chip clip to hold the marker! Now I feel organized, and accomplished! Let me know what you use your DIY dry erase boards for!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I've been meaning to make one of these for quite some time, thanks for the nudge to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! i used a 4x6 frame to make a menu planning board with numbers rather than days b/c I can't stick to that strict of a schedule with meals lol.

    ReplyDelete