Thursday, January 12, 2012

Stuffed Shells - Taco Style

I had to spend a few days in the hospital due to complications with my Crohn's disease.  After not being allowed to eat food for a few days due to health issues, I wanted to make a dinner that would satisfy all of the cravings that occurred while surfing Pinterest for hours.  (If you ever have to spend a few days in the hospital, and can bring a lap top with you, I highly suggest playing around on Pinterest to pass the time... It did wonders for helping to take my mind off of the issues at hand -- and yes, gave me lots of new ideas for my blog!).

Anyway, for my first meal home, I knew exactly what I wanted.  I wanted ooey-gooey cheesy deliciousness combined with my two favorite foods loves: pasta and salsa.  I decided to try a new recipe I had come across tweaking to fit my tastes.  Taco Style Stuffed Shells fit my cravings perfectly! I've made something I call taco lasagna for a few years now that my husband and I really enjoy.  (It is actually the ONLY meal that he will eat as left-overs -- he is really picky!).  However, when I served him this tonight, he went back for seconds, thirds, and believe it or not, fourths! He couldn't get enough! I have to say, it is pretty darn delicious!  It takes a little extra time to prepare since you have to stuff each shell, but overall, start to finish, took me 45 minutes, with only 15 of those minutes as hands on time... Not too bad! I hope you enjoy!

Weight Watcher PPV: 3 PPV per shell

Ingredients:
- 16 jumbo pasta shells 
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese
- A few dribble of taco sauce
- 1 jar chunky salsa (I used medium, but I'd recommend using mild if you are not a fan of spicy food)
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 handful colby jack shredded cheese
- 1 handful mexican shredded cheese





I began by boiling a large pot of salted water.  While it was coming to a boil, I browned the ground meat.  As it was browning, I prepared my 9x13 pan by spreading one cup of salsa on the bottom.

  



Once the meat was cooked and drained, I added in the packet of taco seasoning, 2/3 cup water, and the rest of the jar of salsa.  Once that was mixed well together, I dropped the cream cheese on top, put a lid on it, and waited until the cream cheese melted.  Once the water was boiling, I dropped the pasta shells into the water until they were tender.  When they were almost finished, I took the lid off of the meat, and mixed the cream cheese in with the taco meat until it was fully incorporated.  I then drained the shells, and ran them under cold water so they were cool enough to handle.




Next, I spooned the meat out using an ice cream scoop and filled each shell. I found the easiest and least messy way for me to do this was to spread the shell apart with one hand while it was sitting on a cutting board, and then dropping in the meat from the scoop.  It went really quickly this way.  





I then arranged the shells in the prepared 9x13 pan.  I then poured the taco sauce over top of all of the shells. I covered the pan with foil, and baked in the oven for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, I took them out, and sprinkled them with each of the cheeses.  I replaced the pan in the oven, uncovered, to allow the cheese to melt for about 5 minutes (you just want your cheese to be melted and gooey).





I served them with a sprinkle of the chopped green onions.  They were soooo good! See that whole big tray? They are gone.  All of them.  So much for having this for lunch tomorrow! 



1 comment:

  1. yum...i pinned this recipe a couple weeks ago and want to try it. glad to hear it is good!

    ReplyDelete