Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tomato basil soup

So... it happened! My first blog request! (And let me tell you how excited I am to have a request - it's so nice to know someone other than me is reading this blog!).  And what a good request, indeed! This is the perfect time of year for soups! In fact, my Weight Watcher's meeting group just did a soup swap! This is the recipe that I shared with the other members, and it got rave reviews! If you are a fan of serious tomato soup, you should definitely try this recipe! It is super easy and quick, but tastes fantastic! I hope you enjoy!!!

Servings: 4
WW PPV: 3

Ingredients:
- 12 oz. tomato juice
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 heaping tsp. minced garlic
- 3/4 cup fat free half and half
- 1 tbs. light margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped basil

Start by combining tomato juice, crushed tomatoes, sauce, and garlic in a soup pot.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium.  Cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes.  Once it has been slightly reduced, remove from heat, and mix in half and half, margarine, and basil.  Re-cover, and let stand for several minutes.  (Do NOT let soup boil once you add the cream!).  Mix thoroughly until well combined.  I like to serve mine with a few croutons on top, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.  And of course, I made a yummy grilled cheese sandwich for dipping to go along with it! 






1 comment:

  1. Yum! My dad thinks I'm crazy because I love tomato soup, but he only thinks of that awful stuff that comes from a can. Going to make this, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete