Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Soup's On: Mexican Chicken Chili

Okay... I know that it is January 4th, but we had our second to last "Christmas" today.  Since we were going to family member's house for dinner, I was trying to think of something to bring that went with what the hostess was serving, sandwiches and potatoes.  As I sat shivering under a blanket, looking outside and dreading going out into the 15 degree weather... undoubtedly having to scrape the ice and snow off of my car and then shiver until the engine warmed up just to go to the store to pick up whatever items I would need, I finally decided just to use whatever I had sitting in my house already, and try to make something delicious from that.  

I had been cold all day - the kind of cold that you just can't seem to shake, so I figured what warms you up better than a nice hot bowl of soup? After browsing my cupboards to see what I had on hand, I decided to make a chicken chili, Mexican style.  And guess what... it was really good! Everyone loved it, and went back for seconds! And the best part? It is super easy!  

Here is what I used (yields 8 servings):
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. cumin, divided
- 8 cups water
- 8 tsp. chicken flavored soup base (you could substitute 8 chicken bullion cubes, but I don't like their flavor as much )
- 1  16 oz. jar salsa (I used 8 oz. mild, 8 oz. medium because I didn't have one full jar)
- 1 tbs. minced garlic
- 3/4 cup minute rice (I used white)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1  4.5 oz. can whole green chilis, diced (my husband inadvertently bought whole - I usually buy them pre-diced)
- Roughly 1ish cups frozen corn (1/2 bag)



I first sprinkled about 1 tsp. of the cumin onto both sides of the chicken breasts, and then massaged it in a bit.  I then decided to grill the chicken on the George Foreman because it usually gets done the fastest.  (I was running short on time by this point since it took me awhile to decide what to make).  



While the chicken was cooking, I brought the water to a boil.  Once it was boiling, I mixed in 8 tsp. of chicken soup base, salsa and the garlic.  I then let it simmer on medium-ish for about 15 minutes.   Have you ever used soup base? If you haven't, I strongly suggest you give it a try! I *highly* prefer it to bullion cubes or pre-made/canned chicken broth.  It has way more flavor, and adds so much more depth to dishes than the bullion or canned.  But any of these three methods would work... But seriously, if you haven't tried soup base, try it! (For your reference, soup base calls for 1 tsp. per 1 cup boiling water - And the beef soup base is really good too!)


By now the chicken was cooked and no longer pink.  In soups, I prefer my chicken to be shredded rather than chunked or cubed, so I used a fork and knife to shred it.  I know lots of people who like to shred chicken in a food processor or blender.  I normally do this to if I have a lot of meat that I am working with, but for only two breasts, I didn't feel like getting extra dishes dirty... I know, I'm a lazy cook.  


Next, I added the remaining ingredients to the soup: the rice, chicken, chilis, beans, and corn.  I let that simmer on low for about 15 more minutes, and then it was time to run.  

As a last minute addition, I decided to bring fat free sour cream, shredded mexi-style cheese, and tortilla chips to serve with the soup.  I planned to take a picture of the soup in the bowl, with the toppings, all ready to be gobbled up, however by the time I remembered, the soup was literally all gone :(.  On the bright side, that means everyone loved it! I hope you enjoy!

Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 4 PPV per serving (without the toppings)

No comments:

Post a Comment